Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Attorneys hope Netflix's 'Mr. McMahon' will 'shed light' on WWE CEO's alleged abuse -VisionFunds
Rekubit Exchange:Attorneys hope Netflix's 'Mr. McMahon' will 'shed light' on WWE CEO's alleged abuse
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 13:53:38
The Rekubit Exchangeattorneys for the woman who filed a lawsuit against former WWE CEO Vince McMahon for alleged abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking said they hope the upcoming Netflix documentary on the controversial wrestling figure will "portray the realities of his abusive and exploitative behavior."
In January, former WWE employee Janel Grant filed a lawsuit in the state of Connecticut that detailed her experience at WWE's headquarters. Grant alleged McMahon made her sign a non-disclosure agreement about their relationship for an agreed amount of $3 million, but she didn't receive full payment from McMahon and wants to void the agreement with the lawsuit. Grant is also suing WWE’s former head of talent relations John Laurinaitis.
Next week, Netflix will release the docuseries "Mr. McMahon"on Sept. 25, promising to "delve into the mogul's controversial reign" in charge of the biggest wresting company in the world. In addition to interviews with McMahon himself and other prominent figures in wrestling, such as Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson, Hulk Hogan and Paul "Triple H" Levesque, the series hints that filming took place when Grant's lawsuit was announced.
Ann Callis, an attorney for Grant, said in a press briefing on Thursday she hopes the series will shed light on her client's story and that she feel it "does it justice."
"Because of the extreme cruelty, degradation, exploitation and violence she was subjected to on a near daily basis for more than two years, (Grant) now suffers from severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, suicidal ideation and the inability to leave her home for weeks at a time," Callis said. "We hope it shines a light on the abhorrent actions of McMahon, frequently on WWE property, and it portrays the realities of his abusive and exploitative behavior."
McMahon resigned as executive chairman and board member of TKO Group Holdings, parent company of WWE, the day after the lawsuit was filed. but the wrestling company's founder maintains his innocence.
“I intend to vigorously defend myself against these baseless accusations, and look forward to clearing my name,” McMahon previously said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports.
Grant did not take part in "Mr. McMahon," Callis added, and did not clarify whether she was asked to be part of it. Callis only said Grant "deserves the opportunity to tell her full story, not be a part of someone else's."
"(Grant) will get her day in court, and McMahon will be held accountable," Callis said. "She would like to expedite all proceedings as quickly as possible, and Janelle has the right to tell her story in her own way at the right time."
While Grant wants to expedite the proceedings of the lawsuit, the case is currently paused because the U.S. Department of Justice is conducting its own investigation. Grant's attorneys have not heard any updates on the federal investigation but said they want it to proceed quickly so her lawsuit may continue.
Last month, Grant also filed a petition to obtain her medical records from Dr. Carlon Colker. Callis said McMahon arranged visits for Grant to Colker and they're requesting all communication between them. Colker and Peak Wellness filed an official complaint to the petition, stating it's part of Grant's "smear campaign" against WWE.
When asked about any contact Grant has had with WWE since her lawsuit was filed, Callis said there was some initial "very brief" outreach by WWE, but nothing from the company since.
"Janelle Grant's a human being. As I've said before, she deserves justice," Callis said. "She's a victim and a survivor, she is not a WWE storyline."
veryGood! (98)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Bob Knight, legendary Indiana college basketball coach, dies at 83
- Experts call Connecticut city’s ‘mishandled ballots’ a local and limited case, but skeptics disagree
- Biden’s handling of the Israel-Hamas war is a political test in South Florida’s Jewish community
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- DoorDash warns customers who don't tip that they may face a longer wait for their food orders
- Cornell cancels classes after student is charged with threatening Jewish people on campus
- Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith and the dangers of oversharing intimate details on social media
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Officials: No immediate threat to public after freight cars derail from tracks near Detroit
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Alabama can use nitrogen in execution, state's top court rules
- Jury begins deliberating fate of FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried
- Members of far-right groups and counter-demonstrators clash in Greece
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- UAW members at the first Ford plant to go on strike vote overwhelmingly to approve new contract
- 'Schitt's Creek' star Emily Hampshire apologizes for Johnny Depp, Amber Heard costume
- Crews begin removing debris amid ongoing search for worker trapped after Kentucky mine collapse
Recommendation
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Poll shows most US adults think AI will add to election misinformation in 2024
Dolly Parton Reveals Why She Turned Down Super Bowl Halftime Show Many Times
2 Mississippi men sentenced in a timber scheme that caused investors to lose millions of dollars
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Santa Fe considers tax on mansions as housing prices soar
King Charles to acknowledge painful aspects of U.K., Kenya's shared past on visit to the African nation
As culture wars plague local elections, LGBTQ+ candidates flock to the ballot